If your lactose intolerant or just cutting out dairy then this is your dream come true! Dairy-Free Ice Cream!! How freaking awesome! Gone are the days where bad reactions to milk would stand in the way of indulging in delicious, creamy, full-fat ice cream!
I always thought it was impossible to make your own ice cream at home. I’m so thrilled that it is, in fact, completely possible. And you don’t need a fancy ice cream maker either. You only need 5 ingredients and 30 minutes of your time.
- 2 cans coconut cream OR full- fat coconut milk, chilled overnight in the fridge
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cacao powder
- 400g pitted dates
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Place a large mixing bowl in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, add moist pitted dates to a food processor, (if not sticky and moist, soak in warm water for 10 minutes then drain) process until small bits remain. Then add hot water a little at a time until it forms a thick paste. Set aside.
- Scoop out the coconut cream (OR coconut milk ) from the cans, reserving the clear liquid for other uses. Place in chilled mixing bowl.
- NOTE: If you’re using coconut milk, you’ll likely use less sweetener because there’s less volume.
- Using a mixer, whip until creamy and smooth. Then add cocoa powder, vanilla, almond milk, and half of the date paste. Whip until fully incorporated.
- Taste and adjust flavors to your preference. You may need to add in more date paste or more cocoa powder.
- Transfer to a parchment-lined freezer-safe container and cover loosely with plastic wrap, then foil to help freeze.
- You can take this out in a couple of hours for a chilled mousse-like ice cream. Freeze overnight for a firmer ice cream.
- Set out for at least 20 minutes prior to scooping.