As most of you know, wheat causes inflammation in the body that we may or may not recognize. And if you have a known sensitivity to Gluten or medical condition such as celiac disease or a wheat allergy it’s even more reason not to indulge in non gluten and wheat free carbs!
The problem is that even knowing all this, these foods are still sooooo hard to resist. And pita is one of those breads that not only accompanies a meal… but is the foundation on which it’s built! Whether served warm for dipping… or stuffed with your favorite filling, the pita is an all round favorite as part of a scrumptious meal.
And that’s why I had to share this recipe. It’s not all doom and gloom. We can still enjoy a grain and gluten free pita stuffed with our favorite fillings!! Just remember to keep those fillings healthy too! 😉
- ¼ cup almond flour, firmly packed (35 g)
- 1 Tbsp. coconut flour, firmly packed (14 g)
- ⅛ tsp. baking soda
- ⅛ tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. organic psyllium husk powder (3 g) Optional, but increases pliability and reduces breakage)
- ¼ cup hot water
- 1 pastured egg
- 1 Tbsp. organic extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- Preheat oven to 18O C. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a small bowl, mix the dry ingredients and in another larger bowl, combine the wet ingredients, whisking well.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix using a wooden spoon or spatula to form a thick batter.
- Use a ladle to scoop about ¼ cupful batter and pour onto parchment-lined pan in circles.
- Transfer to oven and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Let cool on a wire rack, then cut each circle in half and slice a slit to make a pocket.
- Enjoy! 🙂